This year, the last day of school in Carson City is June 3, 2021, and youth programming is back this summer after many programs had to be canceled due to COVID-19 last year.
Here is a list of the youth programs taking place in Carson City for the 2021 summer season:
SUMMER DAY CAMPS
– Camp Carson starts June 14 for K-6 students and offers indoor and outdoor activities that include STEAM programming, arts and crafts, Leave No Trace, Teambuilding, optional swimming lessons, and optional excursions each week. To learn more about Camp Carson, click here.
– Carson City Boys and Girls Club “Jukebox Summer” summer camp will begin June 7 to August 6 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Carson City Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada facility, along with excursions throughout the summer. To find out more about the 2021 Summer Camp, Click here.
– Invention of the camp hosted by Bethlehem Lutheran School is open to students in Kindergarten to Grade 6 as a home and in-person experience. The camp lasts for a week starting Monday June 14 in partnership with the National Inventors Hall of Fame. Campers will learn through hands-on activities including pop-up microphones, robotic crickets, duck-throwing devices and more. For more information please Click here.
– Swimming Lessons in Carson City open for registration May 10 with four session dates throughout the summer starting June 14-24. This is a group swimming instructional program for children ages 3 and up. Each session consists of eight 30-minute lessons and all skill levels are welcome. The sessions will take place from Monday to Thursday. For more information and registration Click here.
– Rolls of Victory Jr., the Carson City youth roller derby league, offers year-round registration for children of all genders who want to learn the ins and outs of a rolling contact sport. Available for 10-17 year olds. To learn more about the Jr. Victory Rollers, Click here.
– Shred Kids Mountain Bike Camp teaches everything it takes to become a safe and complete mountain biker, taught by certified trainers from the Carson High School Cycling Team. Open to young people aged 9 to 14, there are three camp dates available: Beginner’s Camp from June 6 to June 11, Beginner’s Camp from June 21 to June 25 and Intermediate Camp from July 19 to July 23. Find out more about Shred Kids Mountain Bike Camp Click here.
– Archery camp teaches participants the basics of archery from experienced instructors at Clear Creek Bowmen. Every day, participants will learn something new and work on improving their skills. Drinks will be provided, but please bring your own snacks. The archery camp will begin in June and will run Monday through Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the archery range. Find out more about the archery camp Click here.
– Youth basketball and Little Senators is temporarily postponed until further notice due to COVID-19. Check here for any changes.
– Junior Giants is a partnership between Carson City Parks and Recreation and the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada to deliver a free, non-competitive coeducation youth baseball program sponsored by the San Francisco Giants. The Junior Giants will start from June 7 to August 13 on Mondays and Fridays for ages 5-13. To find out more about the Junior Giants Click here.
– Youth volleyball has not been updated for the 2021 season. Please Check here for any changes.
– Youth futsal is currently postponed until further notice due to COVID-19. Please Check here for any changes.
– Skateboarding and Scooter Competitions are sponsored by the Wheelhouse and take place at Carson City Skate Park. It will be a freestyle competition where participants will receive three 40 second runs to collect their best lines and biggest tricks. The skate park will be lit for the final parts of the competition after dark. After each race, participants will be judged by experienced skating pros from the Wheelhouse, and the winner of each category will receive a prize! The categories are divided into beginner, intermediate and advanced for skateboarding and scootering. The competition will take place on Saturday September 18th. To learn more about skate and scooter competitions, Click here.
– American Youth Football Organization will host summer camps for 6 to 14 year olds throughout the summer season from July 5 to 9, the second from August 2 to 6 and the final from August 9 to 13. To find out more about this program Click here.
– Golden Lion Tai Chi C’Haun and Qi Gong will be hosted in the Comstock Room of the All Ages Community Center to teach Tai Chi, the ancient Chinese martial art form known around the world for its health, relaxation and longevity benefits. To learn more Click here.
– Carson City Library hosts many summer programs for young people including coding classes, learning challenges, art nights, and more. To consult their complete catalog of events throughout the summer, Click here, or read below for a sample of their programming.
– The Summer Learning Challenge kicks off will take place on Saturday June 12 in the Jardin de la Bibliothèque outdoor space. This event is for all ages and will include a nature-themed launch party. The theme for this year’s Summer Learning Challenge is “Tails and Tales”. Click here for more information.
– WILD Project: Animal Adaptations will take place at the Carson City Library on Wednesday, June 30 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. as part of the Summer Learning Challenge for middle school students. Participants will learn how animas inherit traits and have adapted so well to life in Nevada. For more information Click here.
– Virtual hour of code at the Carson City Library is aimed at ages 10-14, held virtually via Zoom, and teaches college students the basics of computer programming with no prior experience required. For more information Click here.
SPECIAL EVENTS FOR THE FAMILY
– Movies in the park returns for the 2021 season, hosted by the Classic Cinema Club. Movies in the Park will begin at dusk every Friday at Mills Park from June 18 through July 30. To know more, Click here.
BASED ON FAITH
– The Salvation Army day camp will start June 10 to August 9, Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. for children ages 5 to 12. Daily excursions include Carson Pool, Railway Museum, Carson Lanes, and more. It is a Bible-based program with mature adult leadership. To learn more Click here.
Did we run out? If you know of a Carson City-based summer youth program that is not on this list, please comment below!