NETLA’s 2022 Hopkins County Junior Market Livestock Show and Sale is scheduled for February 24-26 at the Civic Center.
By Dr. Mario Villarino, Texas AgriLife Agriculture/Natural Resources Extension Officer, Hopkins County, [email protected]
The 4-H breeding program is a unique opportunity to use animals and educational projects to enhance the development of young. The main objectives of the program concern the young people, not the animals. Participants learn about agriculture and animal production and develop an appreciation for the livestock industry; the primary goals, however, are to teach life skills and help 4-Hs become productive citizens of our society. The experience of children owning and working with animals; be responsible for their care, health and growth; and exposing them in a competitive environment is a tremendous character-building process.
Young people take part in major animal science projects in beef, dairy, sheep, pork, equine, dairy goats, butcher goats and meat science. In addition to animal projects, 4-H members participate in a variety of judging, quiz, communication, expressive arts and other livestock-based contests to demonstrate their acquired knowledge and skills. working with livestock.
In Hopkins County, Hopkins County 4-H members have a strong tradition in farming and livestock showing. Many are from families who themselves grew up showing cattle. While attending one of the planning meetings for our 2022 Hopkins County Junior Market Livestock Show (NETLA Show), I enjoyed hearing about the experiences of parents of exhibitors interacting with their fellow breeder friends.
It is very rewarding to help an association with decades of tradition and to interact with the leaders of NETLA breeding who have helped shape our current families and their children. Hopkins County 4-H members and their families will participate in showcasing animal husbandry projects at the upcoming NETLA 2022 show as follows:
2022 Hopkins County Junior Market Livestock Show and Sale
Thursday, February 24, 2022
- 2-3 p.m. – Weight of lambs and goats due
- 4:00 p.m. – Lamb Showmanship / Lamb Show continued
- Immediately followed by the presentation and the goat show
Friday, February 25, 2022
- 7:00 a.m. – All poultry projects checked and in place
- 8 a.m. – Poultry Show followed by Showmanship
- 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. – Weight due for all pigs
- 10:00 a.m. – All Steer and Heifer projects are taped
- Noon – Pig showmanship followed by a pig show
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Bar weights due
- 3:00 p.m. – Heifer Showmanship followed by a show
- 6:00 p.m. – Steer Showmanship/followed by a show
Saturday February 26, 2022
- Noon – NETLA Stew & Chili Lunch – Civic Center
- 1 p.m. – CHAMPIONS SALE in the Arena
ALL shows will be held at the Hopkins County Regional Center Arena
Come to NETLA to support our young exhibitors. The NETLA Junior Market Show is open to qualified FFA and 4-M members in Hopkins County.